The LGBTQ+ Working Group fosters a community at Rhodes College that promotes belonging, empowerment, and growth for people of all genders and sexualities through advocacy and community building.
- Approximately 30 single-occupancy rest rooms across campus are now classified as “All Gender Rest Rooms.” Our “All Gender Rest Room” sign distributor, "My Door Sign," donated these signs to Rhodes and to other schools to assist campuses in becoming more gender-inclusive. The signs alleviate confusion about which room to use by including universally recognized words and images. Download a PDF map with the locations for the All Gender Rest Rooms at Rhodes.
- The LGBTQ Resources InRhodes Pages have been updated to include Transgender-specific Resources.
As the Working Group continues to promote inclusivity on campus, members of the Rhodes LGBTQ community, alumni, their friends and supporters are encouraged to participate in the Rhodes College chapter of EquaLynx. Details about future EquaLynx events can be found on the chapter page or EquaLynx Facebook page.
Students interested in the LGBTQ community can connect through various academic, social, service, and faith-based opportunities. The InRhodes page, "LGBTQ Resources" offers access to these many groups and resources.
- The Gender and Sexuality Studies interdisciplinary program offers a wide variety of academic courses that examination address issues of power, politics, privilege, and development under the lens of gender and sexuality.
- The Gay Straight Alliance offers support for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students, as well as a forum for discussing issues relating to gender, sexuality, and the LGBTQ community.
- Queer Advocacy, a service and social action group within the Rhodes Kinney Program, promotes integrated community learning and student engagement/empowerment through serving the greater LGBTQ community of Memphis.
- Those seeking LGBTQ-affirming religious organizations within the greater Memphis area can find those resources through the Chaplain’s office.
- Many LGBTQ-related student groups utilize the Queer Resource room (located in Briggs Hall) which offers a welcoming and supportive environment for LGBTQ people and their allies. This space also a great place to find information, resources, and referrals on LGBTQ issues.
Over 300 current faculty, staff, and students are certified Safe Zones on campus, serving as a source of support and information for LGBTQ students, free of judgment and hostility. Safe Zone participants attend a series of Brown Bag Lunch sessions throughout the school year to foster discussion around topics such as being transgender in college, coming out to friends, family and parents, and addressing homophobia and heterosexism in society.
For more information, read "LGBTQ Working Group Plans A Busy Year" by Margaret Tronsor '17.
The LGBTQ Working Group was established in 2010 by Dean of Faculty Michael Drompp and Dean of Students Carol Casey. Working Group members are:
- Knight Champion, Staff Representative and Sr Development Officer
- Jeff Cleathes, Staff Representative and Head Baseball Coach
- Meredith Davis, Assistant Dean for Multicultural Affairs, ex officio
- Marissa Evans '17, Student Representative
- Tyler Harvey ’17, Student Representative
- Erin Hillis, M.A., Staff Representative and Associate Director of International Programs
- Sophie Hoffman ’17, Student Representative
- Ira Lawson, Staff Representative and Student Leader Coordinator
- Geoff Maddox, Ph.D., Faculty Representative and Assistant Professor
- Molly Mulhern ’18, Student Representative
- Michelle Ngo ’18, Student Representative
- Evelyn Perry, Ph.D., Faculty Representative and Assistant Professor
- Rev. Walt Tennyson, Staff Representative and College Chaplain
- Rylan Testa, Ph.D., Faculty Representative and Assistant Professor
- Kelly Weeks, Ph.D., Faculty Representative and Assistant Professor
- Isabel Wittman ’17, Student Representative
- Noelle Chaddock, Ph.D., Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for Diversity and Inclusivity
- Lee Kezar '19, Student Representative