Responsibilities of the Principal Investigator or Project Director Applying for a Grant
- Notifying the Grants and Foundations Manager, Lydia Spencer, as early as possible of your intention to apply for a grant.
- Reading the funding opportunity notice in detail.
- Drafting a proposal that follows the relevant guidelines or instructions in it. Watch for requirements regarding page limits, font style and size, margins and line spacing, special page headers and footers.
- Recommended: have a colleague read your draft proposal for content, clarity and accuracy.
- Being aware of items that require collaboration or an outside agency and initiating these early in the grant process (e.g., letters of support—draft these for your partners/supporters and you will get them back easier and faster).
- Compliance with all grant policies in the college handbook, faculty section, at http://handbook.rhodes.edu/externally-funded-grants-and-contracts
- Preparing the budget and budget narrative.
- Filling out the External Grant Checklist (links to Box) appropriately and completely, attaching it to the draft proposal and budget with a brief abstract, and circulating it for signatures. Allow 2 weeks for this process; plan to have all documentation submitted to Lydia Spencer, the grants and foundations manager, 2 weeks before the grant deadline.
Already received the grant? See Managing Your Grant.