Majors, Minors & Requirements
REQUIREMENTS FOR A MAJOR IN BIOLOGY LEADING TO THE B.S. DEGREEA total of fifty-three to fifty-seven (53-57) credits as follows:
- Biology 130-131L, 140-141L.
- Six upper-level courses; at least four of which must have an associated lab experience. Normally four of the six courses used to satisfy these requirements must be taken within the Biology Department at Rhodes. Four credits of Research in Biology (451 or 452) can satisfy one upper-level course with lab requirement. Courses taught outside the department that can satisfy upper level course requirements for the biology major, subject to the limit indicated above, are Chem 416, Chem 414 (Chem 414 with BMB 310 may satisfy a course with lab requirement), Neur 270 (Neur 270 with Neur 350 may satisfy a course with lab requirement), and certain courses approved by the Department Chair for transfer credit.
- Biology 485 or 486.
- Chemistry 120-120L and 211.
- One course from Math 111, Econ 290, or Psych 211.
- One course from Math 115, Math 121, or Computer Science 141.
Courses and accompanying laboratories of the same name are linked co-requisites and must be taken together. Unless otherwise noted, courses meet under the standard class schedule and laboratories meet for a three-hour period; laboratories also often require further project work outside the scheduled lab time.
Students seeking a double major must have at least four upper-level courses for the Biology major that are not used to satisfy requirements for the other major.